Castelfondo
According to an old legend, on the hollow overlooking the actual village there was a small lake on which a statue of the Madonna was seen floating. The ancient village Arbace stood near the Dal Sant capital and was probably destroyed by natural disaster in 1400.
The old name of the village was Castrum Fundi, as indicated in antique documents, and in fact it was a Roman "castrum" and from here they used to access the outposts of Castrin and Le Palade along the old Roman road which can still be seen today with the typical arch structure at the bottom of the village. These two outposts were the last barriers defending the whole Non highland from the Barbaric invasions during the late empire. In the Middle Ages Castelfondo was the seat of the eponymous judicature which included a large part of the Val di Non and up to the village of S. Romedio.
Castelfondo is divided into three main centers: Villa, in the lower part, Plaz, in the middle, and Cologna in the upper part. Rural-elegant houses mixed with buildings typical of the country tradition of the Val di Non. Of the elegant palaces it is worth mentioning Casa Lorenzetti and Casa Dalla Chiesa which is decorated with a precious Crucifixion painted by Gaspar Blattmirer in 1437. The parish church of S. Nicolò was re-built between 1508 and 1530 by Pietro Carloni from San Fedele di Intelvi and was enlarged in the last century. You should visit also Castelfondo Castle and Vigna Castle.
Of the elegant palaces it is worth mentioning Casa Lorenzetti and Casa Dalla Chiesa which is decorated with a precious Crucifixion painted by Gaspar Blattmirer in 1437. The parish church of S. Nicolò was re-built between 1508 and 1530 by Pietro Carloni from San Fedele di Intelvi and was enlarged in the last century. You should visit also Castelfondo Castle and Vigna Castle.
Show more

Find Lodgings

X
    Tiscover recommends
    Favorite accommodation in Castelfondo:
    © HRS Destination Solutions Austria GmbH | Affiliate of