Smarano
This village is placed in a wonderful location on a green plateau with a view of the Val di Non amphitheatre. Of very ancient origins many pre-Roman and Roman findings were found here. In the area of Torre the foundations of a Roman building which guarded the road leading to the Valle dell´Adige up to the Predaia Pass and continuing to Cles were discovered.
The church of the Assumption is of great interest and was first documented in 1280. Seriously damaged by the fire in 1759, it was re-built later in line with the Baroque and Renaissance styles. The altar-piece was made by a disciple of G. B. Lampi. The new mechanical-traction organ is particularly interesting. It was made by G. Ghilardi in 1993 and is particularly suitable for playing Renaissance and Baroque music. International courses for organ players are held here. In summer it is worth visiting the Art and Antique Trade Gallery (private). The crafts and artistic activities of Smarano are of primary importance and from here many glass-cutters emigrated abroad.
Show more

Find Lodgings

X
    Tiscover recommends
    Favorite accommodation in Smarano:
    © HRS Destination Solutions Austria GmbH | Affiliate of